Search Me!

Think about it...

Monday, September 12, 2011

9/11 Thoughts, from my Facebook page

No jokes today.

I feel like the America I grew up in received a mortal blow on 9/11/01. It wasn't killed instantly, but is dying, and too much of the freedom I cherished is gone.

The America I grew up in did not encourage neighbors to spy on neighbors, professional thugs did not grope or embarrass or harass travelers, photographers were not arrested and knitting needles were allowed in government offices.

I am still proud of my country, but I am not happy with it.

One added thought. I believe that part of reaching maturity is accepting the fact that there is really no such thing as physical security. No contrivance, no legislation, no training, no person, no environment, no institution, can keep you from harm. No amount of planning, worrying, and devising by you or anyone else will keep you safe. You are going to get hurt and you are going to die, but in the meantime you should just go out and LIVE.

The atmosphere of fear that engendered the Patriot Act and all the other restrictions on our liberty should not exist in a society of mature individuals.

"Memento mori"
(Me)

0 comments:

 
...