Search Me!

Think about it...

Friday, July 2, 2010

JJ: Holiday Rain

I guess rain on a holiday is to be expected if you live in Montana, and I suppose I don't really mind. Rain gives me an excuse to stay away from lakes and campgrounds and parks, and contributes to my quest for solitude.

Rain also gives me an excuse to putter in the store, and if I do that for very long I open the door and flip the sign. A long as I am here and the lights are on anyway I guess a stray book-seeker is welcome.

Sad to say, there are very few things I enjoy as much as I do just being here in the midst of books and tools and gadgets, with a four-legged companion for company and a world of entertainment in reach.

I love books . . .

Books. I've neglected to list the ones I've been reading. Well, right now I am redoing the Harry Potter series and am approaching the end of book three. I just read a book on survival and am wandering through a book written by an older couple that tried to retrace the route of Ulysses in "The Odyssey."

The most interesting thing on my desk is a copy of "Ecodefense: A Field Guide to Monkeywrenching," by Dave Foreman. It is a serious handbook for the Ed Abbey/George Hayduke types that delight in sabotage and destruction in defense of the environment. It is laid out like a military field manual, but the actions and tactics are illegal.

Book Cover

It is actually available in HTML format here, so you can try it for yourself. If you are a retired Forester with high blood pressure or a bad heart I'd suggest you pass up the chance to read it. It covers everything from making non-ferrous tree spikes to incapacitating bulldozers and guard dogs and destroying trap lines.

I have started carrying a copy of one version or another of the "Uncle John's Bathroom Reader" books in my vehicles. They were designed for short waits and quick reads and are perfect when I need to kill a few minutes waiting around.

I am waiting for the next Lee Child "Reacher" novel to come out. I put the last one aside for now and will finish it when the new one gets here, since Child decided to leave it as an open-ended cliffhanger. Pardon the pun, but I think doing that was Childish of him.

TBC

"Memento mori"

(Me)

0 comments:

 
...