Search Me!

Think about it...

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

HOM: The Bob IV

Technically we were camped in the Great bear Wilderness, a subset of the Bob, in the Lodgepole Creek area north of Schafer Meadows. It rained hard and rained a lot, and we spent a lot of time in the tent the first two days. Jim had been exhausted before we even left home so he spent some time catching up on his sleep in the quiet tent. I dug out a couple of books and a Rubik's Cube I'd stashed and spent MANY hours trying to solve it. Some of the neatest times of the trip were after the weather cleared. Hunting became less of a priority and relaxing/exploring took top place as the days went by. We took a break and were sprawled on our backs in a meadow watching a little black bear forage on the hillside above us when Jim asked me what I enjoyed most about being out there. I didn't even have to think or hesitate to answer "NO TELEPHONES!" I guess it was funny, but I was serious. It felt nice to be out of touch from the rest of the world. If something bad was happening at home, there was nothing I could do about it, so I put everything out of my mind but the wilderness around me. We saw fresh Grizzly tracks several times, but never spotted any being made. Randa continued my education. She decided she didn't like walking in puddles so she'd detour around them. Being stubborn, I'd fight her and make her wade, so she changed tactics. She'd walk along till she got to a puddle, act like she was going through it, then she'd hop/jump over it. It got to the point that when she saw water in the trail ahead she'd perk up her ears and break into a trot, building up speed for a jump. It kept me from day dreaming. We rode up to Schafer Meadows and looked at the airstrip there, poked around and did a little visiting and exploring and sightseeing. It was a great trip, but the week went by too fast. The trip out was easier than going in. We'd used up enough food and such that one horse was rideable and the other carried the load. The drawback was that the rain started again. Going home was odd, because I didn't know what I'd be walking into, but all went fairly well while I was gone. TBC (Me) (Blacktail Books)

0 comments:

 
...