Search Me!

Think about it...

Saturday, June 20, 2009

HOM: Oologah

When we left Rolla we kept going SW, mostly on I-44, but I made a side trip up into Kansas and visited Coffeyville, where the Dalton Gang met its end. This was a dual-purpose side trip -- I wanted to be able to say I'd visited Kansas & I have always been interested in Cowboy history. I see that Coffeyville is now the home of Amazon's main distribution center. When I was there, it was a quiet little country town. That's Progress, I guess. From there, we headed for Tulsa and Oklahoma City, with a side trip to Oolagah. Why Oologah? Will Rogers' birthplace! Some of my favorite quotations came from him and his cowboy wisdom.
  • Ancient Rome declined because it had a Senate; now what's going to happen to us with both a Senate and a House.
  • Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
  • Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.
  • I belong to no organized party. I am a Democrat.
  • I never expected to see the day when girls would get sunburned in the places they do today.
  • I'm not a real movie star. I've still got the same wife I started out with twenty-eight years ago.
  • Nothing you can't spell will ever work.
  • On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter what it does.
  • Our constitution protects aliens, drunks and U.S. Senators.
  • The best doctor in the world is the veterinarian. He can't ask his patients what is the matter-he's got to just know.
  • There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you.
  • This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer.
  • The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
  • The income tax has made more liars out of the American people than golf has.
We scouted Tulsa and Oklahoma City and found quite a few good books to send Jerry-ward. We had a funny episode in one of the bigger book stores we shopped in. I found a reference book on rare Western Americana in a rack of other books and debated on buying it but decided it was too expensive and put it back. When we checked out I mentioned the book to the shop-keeper, who instantly got excited. It seems it was one of his personal reference books and he'd misplaced it a few weeks before and been looking for it since. Nope, we couldn't find it again for him. I have always been grateful for that episode, though. When I misplace things in-store, it encourages me to remember that I'm not the only Absent-Minded Bookman. TBC (Me) (Blacktail Books)

2 comments:

Jean&Vic said...

I did not know you are a will rogers fan! I have been too, since I learned a little something about him about10-12 years back (yes, it is true, even a marine can still learn ;-) I think some of the things I have learned later in life make me look and watch more how I behave than I did as a kid. learning some of how Will talked to ladies has helped me keep out of trouble on more than one occasion, and has helped me sweet talk my wife the other half. Too bad I did not learn those things from him sooner in life. . .

Jean&Vic said...

Jean here. Will Rogers is one of my heroes. I still have a portrait I did of him as an art school project squirreled away somewhere...

 
...