Search Me!

Think about it...

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

HOM: Arizona

The Rittenhouse visit was odd. I expected a store and found a house full of books and a preoccupied family. After I finally found the place up on the hills east of town I didn't stay long: I felt out of place and most of the books I looked at were priced more for the Carriage Trade than Kalispell. I was disappointed and a bit disillusioned, as Rittenhouse had quite a reputation in book collecting circles. We poked around the town bit, then headed west again, spending the night in Gallup. The two memorable parts of the drive were seeing (racing!) my first roadrunner -- The feathered kind, that is, not the Chrysler product. I'd raced the Chrysler version before, and lost. The second was stopping to pick up some very odd volcanic rocks, probably basalt, for my collection. When we gassed up in Gallup, I mentioned the PG-85 named after the city, but no one seemed to have heard of it. I'd run into the same thing in Grand Rapids when I mentioned PG-98. Fame is so fleeting . . . From Gallup, we went on westward to Flagstaff, poked around there for a bit, spent the night, then branched off for the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. We hit the main park attractions along the loop of Route 64, took a left on 89, and headed for Page and the best part of the trip, spending time with Don & Sandy. TBC (Me) (Blacktail Books)

0 comments:

 
...